Re: A bit OT: Amanda Restore

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 01:39:12PM -0400, Dan Ritter wrote:
> I'm going to suggest that amanda is not the best solution for
> you in this situation.

I was actually starting to think the same thing myself as I was writing
my original mail last night, but I do intend to expand my setup to
include more of my network later, at which point this setup will start
to make more sense.

> I'll take a wild guess and suggest that your SSD is 1 TB or
> smaller.

Two 960GB SSDs, yes. One mounted on / with a small handful of partitions
and the other one big partition mounted on /opt.

> Let's take a cost-effective 2TB spinning disk and partition it in 2
> equal-sized chunks. On odd-numbered days, copy your entire SSD
> to partition 1 via dd. On weekends, copy your entire SSD to
> partition 2 via dd. Make sure you have a GRUB boot CD or USB
> stick available.
>
> Now you have an image available that's no more than 2 days old,
> and another which is no more than 7 days old. You should be able
> to recover a single file that you accidentally deleted by simply
> mounting the filesystem and copying it over. You can recover
> from a whole-SSD failure by booting with GRUB and then picking
> the right partition to boot from; when you have time, you can go
> buy a new SSD.

Makes sense, until I get to the point of being more organised about
backing up more of my network.

Thanks for your advice

Mark