Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2017 15:18:31 +0000
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 24 March 2017 12:06:58 Joe wrote:
> > I've mentioned recently that I once did a non-expert netinstall, in
> > the days when I used static addresses and no DHCP, and was miffed
> > to find I had no network interfaces at the end of the process.
>
> Until fairly recently I have always had static IPs and chosen to use
> static IPs.  I have always been able to tell the installer so, and
> have ended up with a properly configured network and a well-written
> network interfaces file.

a) Is this with a not-expert installation?
 and
b) Even though you did not use it, was a DHCP server running in the
network?

I've no idea if it is true today, but when this incident happened, the
combination of non-expert and no DHCP server detected resulted in no
network drivers being loaded, even though the network had been used
during installation.

When I reported it as a bug I was told it was not, it was a feature.
Presumably only experts understand network configuration. I've always
used expert mode before and since, but on that occasion it was some kind
of temporary installation and I thought that non-expert ought to take
care of it.

--
Joe