Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

Catherine Gramze wrote:

>The point of free software is not to cater to your personal
>preferences, or mine, but to make that software accessible and useful
>to the greatest number of people. The netinst installer doesn't do
>that when it allows a very broken installation to result. There will
>inevitably be "arbitrary" decisions involved in a project like this,
>like not including the non-free firmware in the installer, and the
>switch to systemd.

To be honest, I think we have a mostly reasonable setup right
now. I've just tested the stretch RC2 netinst in a VM without
networking. It did give a prominent warning from the netcfg step:

  No network interfaces were found. The installation system was unable to find
  a network device.
  You may need to load a specific module for your network card, if you
  have one. For this, go back to the network hardware detection step.

*If* you continue the installer past that warning, you will still get
prompted about network mirrors (which is not all that clever,
admittedly!) before tasksel. You can choose (again, with a warning) to
not use a mirror and *then* you'll get the option to just install the
base system ("standard").

I don't have ready access right now to a machine *with* network
devices, but only those that need firmware. What exact messages do you
get there?

As a separate point, there are *unofficial* netinst images including
the non-free firmware packages, and we've been making those for a
while. I'm tempted to add a version of DVD#1 including the firmware
too, starting with stretch.

< liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"