Re: Unattended upgrades.

Thank you for your further response.  I have tried to answer your questions,
which will show you that I am completely at sea.

On Thursday 23 March 2017 09:03:01 didier gaumet wrote:
> Le 23/03/2017 à 02:06, Lisi Reisz a écrit :
> > Thank you.  Yes, I have read and tried to follow it.  I quote:
> > ---------
> > To install these packages, run the following command as root:
> >
> > # apt-get install unattended-upgrades apt-listchanges
> > The default configuration file for the unattended-upgrades package is
> > at /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades. The defaults will work
> > fine, but you should read it and make changes as needed.
> >
> > # editor /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
> > ---------
> >
> > It clearly says that the defaults will work fine.  They don't.  They
> > don't seem to work at all, in fact most of the files don't seem to be
> > there.
>
> I don't really understand: what files are not there that should be there?

Let's start with the file you mention: /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades
It isn't there.

> > I have tried to read and follow the whole thing.  I have googled for
> > other things.  I have got no-where.  So any more useful pointers would be
> > greatly welcomed.
>
> the part of the procedure you quoted is the installation of
> unattended-upgrades: you can verify that unattended-upgrades is working
> the way you want simply by running it as root in console.

lisi@Eros:~$ su
Password:
root@Eros:/home/lisi# unattended-upgrades
root@Eros:/home/lisi#

What has that done?  I can verify nothing because I can't see what it has or
has not done.  It took a long while doing it, but appears to have dome
nothing.

> this part of
> the procedure does not automatize anything, so if you do not run
> yourself unattended-upgrades you may have the false impression that it
> is not working.

If I have to run it myself, then it isn't working.  The whole point, from my
point of view, is for it to work unattended.

> did you follow the rest of the procedure, and which part, in order to
> automatize the execution of unattended-upgrades? what is the content of
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades ?

I have clearly completely misunderstood what unattended-upgrades is intended
to do.  If it won't work automatically but requires me to run it, in what
sense is it unattended?  It said that it runs by default.  I have obviously
misunderstood what "run" means in this context.

As I said above, /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades doesn't exist.

> also, I seem to remember that the default set-up for unattended-upgrades
> is upgrading only security issues for the stable channel.

That is what I have been trying unsuccessfully to achieve.  If the defaults
work fine, then what are they doing?  If I need to run it, in what way is it
any different from or preferable to any other method of running upgrades?

> If you want
> something like proposed updates or follow testing or unstable channels,
> you have to alter the default set-up

So, to summarise, it is my expectations that are at fault.
Unattended-upgrades does not by default run unattended.  One has to set up a
cron job or something.

Having been reading the file /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades, which
does exist, I have come to the conclusion that sadly this is all well above
my pay-grade anyway.

Lisi