Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

> On Mar 23, 2017, at 7:38 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Anyone who reads this knows that the net-install disc cannot include non-free
> firmware and that there could be a problem with connecting to the net.

No, they don't. They know it can't can't contain non-free software, but not that their network card might not work. That is not the least bit obvious to a Linux beginner.

I am not arguing for non-free software to be included on the netinst disc. I am arguing for not letting beginners screw themselves by continuing the installation when a network card is not recognized and configured. It is completely illogical that the installer allows it, as a network connection is required to complete the installation correctly.

> I am not making a false claim.  What you said about me and about what I think
> and believe is incorrect in practically every detail.   Stop maligning me and
> then insisting that you know better than I do what I believe.
>
> As for my being free to disagree, then let me disagree and leave me alone now.

You have stated your elitist opinion of Debian being for experts and the various Debian derivatives being for non-experts in this very thread and at least one other, the old thread about documentation/man pages. You have also just admitted being incensed by my suggestion about the netinst installer. I have not represented you as having any opinion other than these two, so how have I misrepresented you?

It was you who started maligning me, accusing me of making false claims (but not being able to present one) and generally harassing me for disagreeing with you. I have only responded politely, explaining my opinion and why I hold it, while you and others used various improbable scenarios to tell me it would make it impossible for Debian experts to install the way they want to. Because having to have a functioning network card for a netinst is apparently too great an imposition, depriving an expert of his inalienable right to set up a box with a base system only, not ever connected to the Internet at any time, for - what, exactly? What is the use case for this box that precludes both a temporary Internet connection or using a different installation method?

Cathy