Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

>  Mar 23, 2017, at 2:46 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com wrote:
>
> This is of course incorrect.  But I doubt that I could refute it without
> appearing aggressive again. :-(

What part of what I said is incorrect?

> It does indeed incense me that Catherine should demand that the net installer,
> which I and many use all the time, should refuse to do something because
> Catherine doesn't want it to do it.

I am suggesting, not "demanding" that the netinst installer refuse to continue when it is not going to be able to successfully complete the installation due to no network connection. This does not prevent anybody from backing out of the installer after the reboot to get a base system only should they so desire. It simply helps the new user get what they want, a working system with a graphical desktop.

> There are loads of Debian DVDs that do most - all??  I don't use the DVDs - of
> what Catherine wants.  And I think that the Live CDs could helpfully be easy
> for newbies, but if we haven't got the developer time, we haven't got the
> developer time.

A complete Debian dvd set does NOT solve the unrecognized network problem; only the unofficial iso downloads that include the non-free firmware do. The same issue was present the last time I used a complete 12 dvd set, which was years ago. We need to do all we can, within the limits of the Debian commitment to FOSS, to make Debian easier to install, not harder. If anybody must be inconvenienced, make it the users best equipped to work around it.

And we don't have enough developer time to get a working live cd version? The solution is obviously, then, to make Debian as inaccessible as possible. That's the way to get more developers. </sarcasm>