Re: [TEST RUNS] Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

Lisi Reisz wrote:
>On Wednesday 22 March 2017 17:26:56 Richard Owlett wrote:
>>
>> I had a "Live 8.6 MATE" DVD next to me.
>> I had a minor glitch and a possibly significant problem.
>> The minor glitch was when launching the installer it needed a password.
>> Having seen that problem reported before, entering "live" got it going.
>>
>Interesting.  I wonder whether that would apply to all the mainstream Live
>CDs, or just the Mate one?  I think they may be very individual.  I know the
>Trinity unofficial one was, until it became the Devuan one anyway.  But it
>installed OK, ran well both live and installed, and told you what password to
>use in the accompanying documentation.

There have been significant issues with running the installer from a
live system in the past, and unfortunately a lack of volunteer time to
fix the manifold bugs found. I'd still very much recommend using a d-i
(netinst/DVD/whatever) image for installation in preference - you're
much less likely to hit random edge cases that way.

< liw> everything I know about UK hotels I learned from "Fawlty Towers"