Re: Unattended upgrades. Debian methods, please, not Ubuntu.

Le 23/03/2017 à 02:06, Lisi Reisz a écrit :

> Thank you.  Yes, I have read and tried to follow it.  I quote:
> ---------
> To install these packages, run the following command as root:
>
> # apt-get install unattended-upgrades apt-listchanges
> The default configuration file for the unattended-upgrades package is
> at /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades. The defaults will work fine,
> but you should read it and make changes as needed.
>
> # editor /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/50unattended-upgrades
> ---------
>
> It clearly says that the defaults will work fine.  They don't.  They don't
> seem to work at all, in fact most of the files don't seem to be there.

I don't really understand: what files are not there that should be there?

> I have tried to read and follow the whole thing.  I have googled for other
> things.  I have got no-where.  So any more useful pointers would be greatly
> welcomed.

the part of the procedure you quoted is the installation of
unattended-upgrades: you can verify that unattended-upgrades is working
the way you want simply by running it as root in console. this part of
the procedure does not automatize anything, so if you do not run
yourself unattended-upgrades you may have the false impression that it
is not working.

did you follow the rest of the procedure, and which part, in order to
automatize the execution of unattended-upgrades? what is the content of
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades ?

also, I seem to remember that the default set-up for unattended-upgrades
is upgrading only security issues for the stable channel. If you want
something like proposed updates or follow testing or unstable channels,
you have to alter the default set-up