Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

On Tue 21 Mar 2017 at 20:52:46 (-0400), Catherine Gramze wrote:
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Mar 21, 2017, at 7:20 PM, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue 21 Mar 2017 at 15:44:18 (-0400), Catherine Gramze wrote:
> >>
> >> The installer allows you to continue the installation without a configured network card, and it shouldn't.
> >
> > Please explain how this statement doesn't take away the option of
> > continuing the installation without a configured network card.
>
> You are perfectly free to remove that $15 USB NIC after you reach the installation point you want.

…which contradicts your statement "Please explain how you think my
suggestion takes away any installation options, because it
doesn't. You can still do any type of installation you want."

> The point of Debian is not elitist snobbery, but universal access.

So now it's elitist snobbery to disobey your order to buy a $5 NIC?
I think you should contemplate the words "universal access".

> What is wrong with a simple change that would make it clear to the beginner that they can't do what they want to do, and need to do some reading?

As I said, there's nothing wrong IMO with a change to make the d-i
warn that selecting certain options will have certain consequences,
just like the example I gave of swap. Just no refusals, right?

> This rabid insistence on being able to use the netinst installer without a network is ridiculous.

Of course I'm insistent that one is able to install without a network
and using the netinst installer. I've done it. It didn't seem
ridiculous at the time. The results were spelled out in the other
subthread, in reply to your Tue 21 Mar 2017 at 10:33:29 (-0400) post.
All you're demonstrating here is your lack of ingenuity, and a desire
to prevent others from exercising theirs.

Cheers,
David.