[TEST RUNS] Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

On 03/21/2017 05:30 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 03/20/2017 09:05 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Tuesday 21 March 2017 00:38:36 Richard Owlett wrote:
With the installer from DVD 1 of 13 the first option in taskel is for
choosing to have a desktop - the default is yes.

Thanks, Richard!  This is as I expected - the default is to have a
desktop.  I
must find a machine on which I can safely do some net install test
installs.
I should be getting one next month.  But again, the default certainly
used to
be to have a desktop.  I sometimes don't want oen - but land up with
one if I
go to sleep. :-/
Lisi

It will take longer to do the test installs than I originally
estimated.
To gather some related data I find interesting will take at least 6
unique installs. That means tweaking 6 preseed.cfg files in order to:
  a. be doing something else while the machine chugs along.
  b. be able to document exactly what was done.

Actually it took 9 installs due to "educational" failures :}

The results of the 6 installs I intended to run:
[the only variable being which DE related boxes checked]
[space used reported by gparted]
  1. None
     CLI installed taking ~.92 GB
  2. Only top entry checked (asking for unspecified desktop)
     Gnome installed taking ~3.59 GB
  3. Top entry *and* Gnome checked
     Gnome installed taking ~3.59 GB
  4. Top entry *and* MATE checked
     MATE installed taking ~2.65 GB
  5. Gnome only checked
     Gnome installed taking ~3.59 GB
  6. MATE only checked
     MATE installed taking ~2.65 GB
Tests 1-6 were run were run from a flash drive copy of DVD1.

My "educational" failure was in attempting to create a preseed.cfg file so the tests would require minimal hands on attention. I wanted the tasksel screen to appear. I did not succeed. Instead the installer went on its merry way installing Gnome in ~3.67 (not the ~3.59 GB of other runs).

Two additional installs were run to check an anomaly in the Gnome installs. To minimize typing during the tests, I had chosen to allow root to login and did not specify any other user.
MATE had no problem with this.
Gnome refused to allow "root" be specified as a login ID.
I did 2 test installs from the original DVD, one with and one without specifying a login other than "root". In neither case could I login as "root" in-spite of having explicitly specified during install that login as root was permitted.

Also I picked up a new toy yesterday, a 240 GB Portable SSD. That will
allow me to use my dedicated WindowsXP Laptop as a server. I'll put
the contents of DVD 1 on the SSD and run netinstall on my Linux
hardware. Who knows how long it will take as I have no idea of how
many "learning experiences" take place when running a server for the
first time ;/

It will take a while to get to that test.