Re: cell phone .sigs (was: installer defaults for desktops)

Darac Marjal composed on 2017-03-22 09:10 (UTC):

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 18:03:12 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

Incidentally, why did we need to know that?

These sorts of signatures are usually used on mobile devices for a
number of reasons:

 - Typing on a mobile tends to be less comfortable, or at least slower,
 than typing on a full-size keyboard. This lends to shorter, less
 detailed replies. The signature acts as a warning that "I'm not being
 brusque, I just don't have the capacity to state my case more
 loquaciously."

 - Many mobile clients seem to restrict what you can put in a signature.
 You generally can't use formatting (as company branding might require),
 you often can't even use multiple lines. And if you want to read your
 signature from a pipe (so as to include a witty "fortune")? Good luck!

We see them because the device owner isn't aware, doesn't care, or can't be bothered to replace the OEM .sig with one that identifies the device owner/sender rather than its maker.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/