Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

On Tue 21 Mar 2017 at 10:33:29 (-0400), Catherine Gramze wrote:
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On Mar 21, 2017, at 6:31 AM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tuesday 21 March 2017 02:58:50 Catherine Gramze wrote:
> >> The installer allows you to continue the installation without a configured
> >> network card, and it shouldn't.
> >
> > Of course it should *allow* you to do so.  And it does warn you.  Not allow
> > you indeed!
> >
> No, it should not. Refusing to continue an installation that will inevitably be a failure is how it should act.

You have a very strange view of why people run linux on computers.
Why should it be a failure? You obviously lack experience of using
computers in an ingenious manner, thinking outside the box as they
say, and seem to want to force your limited view onto other people.

> Refusing to continue would not keep anybody from a simple base install if that is what they want; they can have a compatible network card attached, even a cheap USB one, and back out of the installation after the reboot.

Feel free to suggest improvements to the debian-installer to make its
outcomes more useful, but not by proscribing the actions that others
want to take. You might have the d-i warn people about their choices,
rather in the way that you are warned if you don't configure a swap
partition, but it should be possible to ignore such warnings.

> Having to have a configured network card is not a burdensome requirement.

Who are you to say so? Please keep this person away from the Debian
development team. This attitude is the thin end of a wedge.

> Even server installations are going to want to continue past the reboot point, and choose what kind of server the system will be, install the appropriate packages, and get security updates.

You don't have to have a network card to do any of that, or to have a
useful system. I ran a system at home for years which recorded
programmes off air automatically, and which I used for digitising my
vinyl collection. It used USB storage and, before that, ZIP and JAZ
drives (I had a scsi period). I also used to read this list and other
emails, at home without a network connection, all done with said drives
and a python program juggling .procmailrc and versioned inboxes.

Cheers,
David.