Re: installer defaults for desktops (was Re: Suggested edit)

On 03/20/2017 06:48 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Monday 20 March 2017 20:29:31 Richard Owlett wrote:
On 03/20/2017 03:06 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Monday 20 March 2017 09:46:45 Jonathan Dowland wrote:
I don't have an installation image locally to test this as I write, but
your messages indicate that the graphical desktop options are by default
not selected in the installer, regardless of which installation medium
(netinst, CD, DVD) is being used. If they simply defaulted to on, but
could be disabled as normal, would that not address the "noob" issue
without frustrating those who know they don't want a desktop
environment?

Last time my attention wavered when I was doing a net-install I landed up
with Gnome.  I would expect that the net installation still defaults to a
Gnome desktop.  I will try to test this in the near future.

Lisi

If run from Jessie's DVD 1 of 13, if Desktop is selected but without a
specific D.E. selected, you get Gnome.

The question is what you get by default if you don't actually select
anything - desktop or no desktop.  I got Gnome, so got a desktop.

Lisi

With the installer from DVD 1 of 13 the first option in taskel is for choosing to have a desktop - the default is yes.
I'll be able to do a couple of test installs in the morning.
Later.