Re: Re: Wifi Drivers still not recognized by Debian, even when using Netinst

On Sun 19 Mar 2017 at 17:50:50 -0700, Dean wrote:

> Thank you for your guys' help. I assumed that meant I had to download and
> install the packages manually after installing through the live CD and went
> that route.

More or less. You only need firmware-atheros. You can get it through
activating the backports archive (believe it or believe it not, there
is a wiki page on this) or by downloading the package and installing
it with 'dpkg -i'.

> While trying to install Debian again, I have run into another possibly
> unrelated problem. After going through most of the install procedure, I get
> an error message while trying to install the boot loader:
>
> "Executing grub-install failed"
> "This is a fatal error"

Only related in that your hardware might be not be handled by a Jessie
installer very gracefully.

> Where can I access error logs that tell me what actually happened, because
> this is really vague and I don't know what I'm supposed to do with this. The
> drive was wiped during the partitioning process and I have no operating
> systems on the laptop (although I have tried to install Debian multiple
> times at this point).

Switch to a console with ALT-F2. 'more /var/log/syslog'.

--
Brian.