Re: Suggested edit

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 11:18:57 -0400
Catherine Gramze <rhiamom@mac.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 17, 2017, at 10:28 AM, Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > That would presume that the majority of users of the installer
> > wanted to install a desktop environment. This is not necessarily
> > true even for beginners, on say, server machines.
>
> Beginners are installing server systems as their first experience
> with Linux? I think not. Most people don't ever touch a server in
> their entire life.

You might be surprised. I was given a Red Hat 5.2 disc to play with,
and I bought a Linux magazine. It contained an article about compiling
kernels, so I tried it. It was much later that I found this was
considered an advanced task.

I tried a Debian, possibly Potato, I'm not sure. I certainly didn't get
it working, and I can remember an entire screenful of mouse
configuration options, none of which turned out to be correct.

I went to one of the early Mandrakes, did a couple of LFS builds, and
didn't go back to Debian until Sarge, which became my home server... my
current server is a direct descendent of this installation. My LFS was
pure command-line, I was bored enough by the compilation business that I
never did try a GUI, and in those days the Linux desktop was more a
curiosity than a tool.

--
Joe