Re: Suggested edit

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:57:19 +0000
Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday 17 March 2017 16:45:31 Catherine Gramze wrote:
> > It is more important to not intimidate the beginner.
>
> Not, it isn't.  Debian is for experts, or would-be experts, or those
> who will never be experts but like to pretend.
>
> I am so sad that Debian is becoming more and more Ubuntu-ised.  For
> those who want and like Ubuntu, Ubuntu exists.
>
> > We were all a beginner
> > once.
>
> Yes, we were.  And we either managed, had help (I had a lot AND used
> Libranet (an easier true derivative - used Debian sources, but
> pinned) or used a derivative.
>
> We neither expect nor demand that Windows be installable by all and
> sundry, from scratch, on an empty machine.

Actually, these days, it's a pretty trivial job. You basically give it
a user name, a computer name and a timezone. I've done a few 7 Pro
installations in the last year or two.

I don't know how easy a Debian non-expert CD/DVD installation is, the
last time I tried that, I ended up without networking. Not just without
it configured, without an eth0 at all. I did report it as a bug, but
apparently it was a feature.

--
Joe