Re: Suitable text editor [NOT word processor] or workaround?

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 09:04:00 -0500
Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:

> On 03/16/2017 07:20 AM, Joe wrote:
> > On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 06:38:52 -0500
> > Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> >

> >> The two files are nearly identical and need them displayed
> >> simultaneously for instant visual comparison. Opening one of the
> >> files read only would be acceptable but not preferable.
> >>

> > Yes, that does suggest a programming tool such as geany, or a
> > graphical file diff utility. I don't use one in Linux, but there
> > are several.
> > http://www.tecmint.com/best-linux-file-diff-tools-comparison/
>
> I don't need a diff tool exactly. I need to do a _visual_ comparison
> make sure I'm editing the right portion.
> I might say I was looking for an "analog" not "digital" solution.

Nothing actually prevents you from looking at the screen while you have
the two files open. You are free to ignore the helpful highlighting...

That's why I explicitly said 'graphical', I can see that a command-line
diff is no use here, but if you want to mess around with
near-identical text files, a GUI diff program will give you the
maximum possible help.

--
Joe