Re: If Linux Is About Choice, Why Then ...

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 12:30:11PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> The Linux mantra has always been "choice," plethoras of choices. So why
> at install time, is there no choice for the init system?  You get what
> the developers decide. Yes, you can install a new one -- I've done it
> and it works -- but only after the install.  It'd be a lot easier, if
> there were a choice to begin with just like whether you want a GUI and
> which one.

Adding more options to the installer is not free: it's at a cost of complexity
for the installer code-base, complexity and length for users selecting options
when they install and risks confusion for users who aren't familiar with the
background and might not know what choice to make. When weighing up whether to
add a question or not, the developers need to take all that into consideration.
For something like the init system, the vast majority of users will either be
happy with the default, or simply not care. I think it makes sense the way
things are.

For advanced users, asides from using pre-seeding as someone else has
mentioned, with the 'expert mode' installer you have the option for manual
package selection; so you can use that to set things as you want them during
the install.

Everyone gets their cake and can eat it!

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.