Re: radeon black screen

Catherine Gramze composed on 2017-03-13 20:56 (UTC-0400):

​Both are not usable simultaneously. My BIOS requires me to disable the
on-board graphics to use the Radeon card. ​Getting into BIOS is impossible
with the Radeon in use.
Probably not impossible, but difficult I cannot doubt. It ought to go into setup automatically regardless of video connection if you do a BIOS reset via jumper or battery removal. If the difficulty is lack of keyboard response at boot, you can probably work around it by plugging in a PS/2 keyboard.

Please explain just what benefit I might derive
from installing the server video driver you mention rather than the Intel
desktop one I am using now.
What I was doing was offering a possible way to utilize your Radeon, via a driver which happens also to support most non-ancient Intel gfxchips.

Will it provide me with a 4K display?
I have no idea whether your 4K display is compatible with anything in Jessie. Pure Jessie might be too old.

You haven't provided model or known modes supported of either your display or your CPU, or your cable connection type you're using or have tried to use, or what mode you actually want to use. These limit what help you might be able to get from any mailing list.

Please provide a reference that states my card is supported by it, as well.

Full specifications for the R9 270X seem to be a secret. I searched the web without finding out what specific modes it is supposed to support.

e.g. https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/R9-270X-GAMING-2G.html#hero-specification suggests it ought not be the limitation, but lists no modes at all.

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-r9-200-series/amd-radeon-r9-270x-double-dissipation-edition-r9-270x-cdfc
says maximum resolution via Dual-link DVI is 2560x1600. That's less than 4K, so you can't use that cable type to get 4K. With the right DisplayPort or HDMI cable, you should be able to get 4K, but cables don't always live up to claimed specifications.

I don't have your hardware, so can't guarantee anything.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/