Re: Apology to siduction 17.01 (was Re: why??why?why??)

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 13, 2017, at 3:23 PM, Rob van der Putten <rob@sput.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi there
>

>> On 13/03/17 15:54, GiaThnYgeia wrote:
>>
>> Out of my frustration and lack of understanding, or the belief that all
>> systems should run as trouble-free as clean-debian, and possibly due to
>> just getting tired of fighting something too long, I bad-mouthed
>> siduction in public.
>>
>> My source of frustration came from fighting an installation in a tired
>> old system (64bit) and a mediocre not so smart monitor.  Most installers
>> and systems I've seen use 800x600 as their boot/grub screen.
>> Siduction probably doesn't have access to an old monitor.  What this
>> meant was the screen would blank out and have an internal error showing
>> not-compatible meanwhile the grub time would expire and boot up
>> eventually to a graphical login screen.  So I thought some weird boot
>> system prevents me from seeing what's going on or giving me options, so
>> in effect I lost access to all other installed systems.
>>
>> With a clean head and a different pc I went in as root and looked on the
>> usb what the grub config looked like and simply replaced the high
>> resolution to an 800x600 and delayed the default boot sequence just in case.
>>
>> Siduction ... the best grub-configuration I have seen yet, once you can
>> get to it and edit it :)
>>
>> Sorry Siduction!
>> kAt
>>
>> PS  But you (siduction) should lower your graphics expectations down a
>> notch or two.  There are some 1024 monitors still around.
>
> My server has a 12 Inch 640x480 monitor (IBM 8513).
> Installers shouldn't make assumptions about resolutions.
>
>> PS2  Maybe a way to scale back and confirm visibility of the grub menu
>> before it boots the default may help, if you MUST high a high definition
>> grub screen.
>>
>> PS3  Being more confident I can back up and restore my experimentation
>> with siduction really did help as well ;)  dd/xorriso and all!
>>
>> PS4  More than a week ago when I subscribed to their forum "I asked" on
>> why would their installer not run on very similar systems.  Never
>> thought the monitor was IT.  I got no response from them ... but I
>> assume small teams of developers can't address everyone's complaints.
>

> Regards,
> Rob

Meanwhile, my MSI Z87-43G motherboard boot screen doesn't display unless I use the built-in graphics card. When I use my Radeon R9 270X it just goes blank, but still boots through to the default first grub menu item. 4K monitor. Of course, the obvious issues with my graphics card means I don't use it. The newer driver for Radeon cards does not support my card, and the old Catalyst driver is incompatible with Jessie.