Re: prevent "dpkg -l" from showing nonexisting packages

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 11 Mar 2017 at 10:21:13 -0500, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> The output from "dpkg -l" is showing some packages that are not
>> present in the repositories I track.
>
> You are referring to the repositories you track now. What about those
> repositories you no longer track. (Does deb-multimedia ring any bells?)

You are right. I did add deb-multimedia at some point and then
commented it out now. Those packages may be lying around in my system
now.

>>                                      How to change this behaviour so
>> it only shows packages that are available in repositories?
>
> Impossible. 'dpkg -l' only shows packages which have files on the system.
>
> Perhaps you would like to reframe your query?

Let me rephrase my question. If "dpkg -l" cannot do it, is there some
other command that will only show packages from the current
repositories?

If "dpkg -l" only shows packages which files on the system, what files
should I remove, so that packages such as flashplayer-mozilla will not
show up in its output? If there is no generic way of doing it, can I
do it just for just flashplayer-mozilla package?

thanks
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi | http://raju.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Blog