Re: System appearance , Themes, Colors, Styles. etc.

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:14:21 -0800 Gary Roach
<gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Debian Stretch amd64
>
> Up until recently, I had a login screen that I liked, a desktop theme
> that worked reasonably well (with some contrast problems) and desktop
> background that I liked. Then I killed my system and had to reinstall
> the OS and load in backup copies. The system has been a bit of a mess
> since. I only have 2 choices or login screen, neither of which I
> like. I did  manage to find and download a copy of my old desktop
> background but none of my workspace themes work well. The tend to be
> dark gray backgrounds -which I like- but do strange things with the
> print. I tried to send an email to my doctor the other day and my HMO
> web site was printing all of my typing in white on white. My bank web
> site prints gray on gray. I have tried  various preference setting on
> Firefox to no avail. My address book prints dark blue on dark gray.
> Impossible to read. Many of the system settings don't seem to change
> much other than making scroll bars impossible to see.
>
> I have tried to download various themes but have found nothing that
> works. Switching different color schemes makes big changes in the
> system setting page but doesn't change other applications.
>
> In brief, I lost most of my splash screens and can't find my
> favorites anymore and the various color schemes don't effect my
> applications appearance.
>
> Any suggestions?

Start from zero.  Why waste time trying to fix something so badly
broken?: Do a clean fresh install; download additional themes as needed,
etc.-- not from backups. See how it looks.  Then copy config files from
backup, one at a time, check how things look after each, etc.  Once
everything is to your liking, copy your data from backup.