Re: MBR partitioning, and content after partition table but before first partition

On Thu, Mar 09, 2017 at 09:04:56PM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> I use LUKS swap (random key) and root (passphrase).  I think it's the piece
> of the boot chain that gives me the LUKS prompt for root (before the GRUB
> menu).

You get that prompt *before* GRUB?

I use LUKS everywhere and only get it after, because the prompt is (normally)
issued from my initrd. (although I historically put /boot outside of the
encryption. Maybe this is some newer scheme I am not familiar with).

> So, the moral of the story appears to be:
>
>     When taking an image of a Debian system drive, be sure to copy the
>     blocks between the partition table and the first partition, as there
>     may be boot loader code there.

I'd always put a step 0) in there: is imaging what you want to do? Consider
a file-level backup with rsync (etc etc, as discussed elsewhere in this
thread)

> This document is dated and doesn't cover LUKS, but does indicate that blocks
> 1-62 were used for "GRUB stage 1.5":
>
> http://www.pixelbeat.org/docs/disk/

Yes, that was what I thought.

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.