Re: Some help with dd backing up into an iso

On Tue 07 Mar 2017 at 18:05:48 (+0100), Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> David Wright wrote:
> > no one has pointed out the recklessness of the
> > action in the first place.
> > Making a backup and then immediately copying it back over the top of
> > the original is an obvious recipe for data-loss.
>
> It has its use cases. E.g. before you put a Debian installation ISO
> onto an USB stick, it can be used to backup the old stick content and
> will also show by hardware blinking that you got the right device path.

The stick blinks when you back it up. That confirms the device path.
Why would you now copy the old stick content onto the stick again?
That's what the OP wrote that they did, in order to "test the validity".
At this point, my reaction would be to cross my fingers for no power
failures¹. The OP's was to interrupt it!

¹We had two glitches yesterday evening as the tornadoes went by.

Cheers,
David.