Re: shutdown fails to power off host

On 1/17/2017 1:00 PM, Curt wrote:
On 2017-01-17, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
Since it's a desktop I told the users that it's safe to power off the thing
when in this state and filed it under "unsolved hardware/init system quirks".
I suffer from one of these unsolved quirks. Occasionally my machine will
shutdown correctly but will not power off. I have detected no
discernible pattern (or discerned no detectable pattern).

I power the machine off manually when the quirk occurs.

regards
- -- tomás

+1 - I have a win 8 vm that currently exhibits this lovely feature - i boot the host, bring up the vm, log in, and get a black (blank) session window. I can force it to shut down by selecting "shut down" for the virtual machine and then closing the session window. I can also suspend the machine through normal action function. But either resuming the machine or shutting down and re-initializing brings the login and post-login brings the black hole of nothing. I've been scratching my head as to how this machine got into this state since it did seem to work the first 5 or 6 times I brought it up. Virtual machines seem (sometimes) to have their moments just as hosts do.

---