Re: shutdown fails to power off host

On 01/17/2017 02:39 AM, Hans wrote:
> I remember this discussion from sime time ago. Debian has changed a real
> poweroff from "halt" to "halt -p". The second one is according to the manual.
>
> As far as I remeber, "shutdown" is just a wrapper fpr the halt command, but I
> am not quite sure.
>
> But one thing was cleared: To poweroff a debian systenm, the command "halt -p"
> is recommended.
>
> Besides: This behaviour is also now in kali linux integrated, which was also
> using the command "halt" for a long time. But now it's "halt -p", too, also on
> the livefile.
>
> Best
>
> Hans

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions and insight to the problem.

In my case:

1.  The problem was with *any* "shutdown", from the command line, via
halt or shutdown, or through menus of the window system.

2.  The comment by joe@jretrading.com about unmount issues rings a bell,
I think I saw something about failure to sync at one point.

3.  I did try 'halt -p', same result.

4.  There have been two or three updates since I sent my original
question, and the system is now halting and powering off as expected.

Bob