Re: shutdown fails to power off host

On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 18:00:00 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> On 2017-01-17, <tomas@tuxteam.de> <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> >
> > Since it's a desktop I told the users that it's safe to power off
> > the thing when in this state and filed it under "unsolved
> > hardware/init system quirks".
>
> I suffer from one of these unsolved quirks. Occasionally my machine
> will shutdown correctly but will not power off. I have detected no
> discernible pattern (or discerned no detectable pattern).
>
> I power the machine off manually when the quirk occurs.

Me too. Sid on LVM2, AMD video on Giga MB, fails maybe 10%-20% of
shutdowns. The small amount of evidence suggests trouble dismounting the
hard drive, with the device mapper showing an unknown number of devices
having failed to clear, and no sound of the heads parking. Replacing
the hard drive (just age, not for this problem) has improved speeds of
some actions, and not changed this behaviour at all.

There is also trouble booting sometimes, which appears not to correlate
at all with the shutdown trouble. I think that is something to do with
video driving, but I can't get any kind of evidence for that, either,
other than that it always crashes when the display switches from low-res
text to high-res text. Nothing in any log, nothing at all to put in a
bug report. Hey, it's sid.

--
Joe