Re: apt-get is not following preferences.d

On Friday 13 January 2017 03:16:50 Matthias Bodenbinder wrote:

> Am 12.01.2017 um 19:43 schrieb Michael Lange:
> > Just a shot in the dark:
> > maybe the apt-get update at boot time is done before a network
> > connection has been established? I noticed that this can lead to the
> > exact behavior you describe when pinning is in use. Apparently a bug
> > in apt.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Michael
>
> Hello Michael,
>
> I gave it a try. I unplugged the network and did an apt-get update.
> This is throwing all the errors that the repos are not available. But
> in the end the next "apt-get dist-upgrade" indeed wants to update all
> packages to testing.
>
> So it seems that this is an issue with network not ready while apt-get
> update is being performed.
>
> How do I fix this? Where to look?
>
> And thank you for the hint, Michael.
> Matthias

An old geezers thoughts on this is that if I see any error fetching the
lists when I do an apt update, or apt-get update, I consider the system
frozen in place until such time as the update succeeds w/o any errors.
And I'll for sure question this list if the errors persist to the next
day.  Debian may have suffered a machine failure, and its replacement
might take a day to configure, and possibly another day to get
synchronized, and only then might I update my sources list. But in these
times, there is a high likelyhood of a round-robin setup at the debian
site, spreading the load to 2 or 3 more other machines. So quite often
and update done immediately after a failed update, works fine.

We users appreciate that, very much.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)