Re: Jessie or stretch for server

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 02:25:30PM +0100, Dan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to install Debian on a file server (NFS and postgres) for a
> small group of people. It will be in an intranet, no direct connection
> to Internet.
>
> Should I install Jessie or Stretch? I've always used stable. My
> understanding is that at this point Stretch is quite stable, the
> versions of the packages won't change and there won't be major changes
> in the packages, only security/bug updates.
>
> In a few months the Stretch Debian installation will automatically
> become "stable". Is that correct?
>
> If I install Jessie I'll have to update very soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

I almost always pick "stable". The only question you have to ask yourself:
Will "stable" cover all of my requirements? If you can answer "yes" to this
go with stable.

Changes in strech can be as interrupting as having to upgrade _once_. So
there is no benefit just because you might have to "upgrade soon".

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com