Re: Mute mutes speaker, but Unmute does not unmute speaker channel (XFCE4)

Perhaps you've heard of the freedesktop project? The only thing that's above alsa is pulseaudio. I had a situation with pulseaudio and alsamixer recently I got resolved through some hacking it may be instructive to describe here. I had moved my computer from one room to another and for whatever reason the speaker output arbitrarily got moved back to the 3.5MM jack rather than a usb port and the usb port had my best speakers playing on it. Adjusting pulseaudio did nothing to correct the speaker output. I had to adjust alsamixer and pulseaudio to fix the issue.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2017, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 00:55:40
From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Mute mutes speaker,
    but Unmute does not unmute speaker channel (XFCE4)

Once a speaker is unmuted it may help to check the volume levels on all
sound devices.  I suspect when mute speaker is done, all volume levels also
get set to 0, and sink for that speaker has its default value erased.

You mean, we can/should use alsamixer and friends to fix the mess by hand?
Yes, that's what I do, but I'd really like to better understand who
makes this mess, why, and how I can tell it to stop doing that.

I.e. when I press that mute/unmute button, what is the path followed by
this event through the various layers of event handling, and along this
path, where (in which tool) is it decided which channel to mute or to
unmute (or to change the volume level), based on what configuration
data, and which tool does actually perform this action (in case it's
not the same as the tool which made the decision)?  I suspect there
might also be several tools making and applying those decisions and that
might be part of the problem (at least that has been the case for the
LCD brightness management which has historically been handled at all
kinds of places with various successes at avoiding conflicts between
them).

       Stefan