Re: GNU C Library version

On Mon 09 Jan 2017 at 01:05:35 (+0000), Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Firstly thanks to everyone for their time and effort in coming up
> with and maintaining  these fantastic alternatives to Windows, its
> very much appreciated. I have been using Ubuntu and other Linux
> based operating systems for number of years now, and will never
> return to Windows....no way !
> My knowledge of Linux is quite limited, I am more of a open the box
> and plug and play type user ( maybe I should learn more ) !
> I write to you in the hope that you can explain to me ( in plain
> English please ) the unstable issue in the enclosed attachment   C
> Library  GNU C Library version ( Ubuntu GLIBC 2.24-3 Ubuntu 2 ) 2.24
> ( unstable )    I suppose my question is ..if this is unstable why
> is it been released as part of the download for the current version
> of Ubuntu ?

The fact that you write "if this is unstable" rather than "if this is
in 'unstable' " might suggest a misunderstanding of "unstable" in
Debian parlance. Take a look at
https://www.debian.org/releases/
where you'll see that "unstable" is a label, not a state of
instability. 2.19 is the version in stable=jessie because that was
the version around when jessie went through the testing→frozen→stable
release process.

> Sincere thanks for your time.

No problem. Note that some people might not like answering ubuntu
questions here. Come back if I've misunderstood your question.

Cheers,
David.