Re: Installer trases UUID of swap - was [Re: Change of UUID?]

On 1/6/2017 10:48 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 06 Jan 2017 at 16:26:55 (+0000), Darac Marjal wrote:
On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 09:45:28AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 9/23/2016 11:52 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
[snip]

The Debian installer reformats an existing swap, which means it
gets a new UUID, unless you go out of your way to prevent it from
doing so.

I wish to go out of my way, so to speak.
Can you point me to "the road less traveled"?

My thoughts would be to mark the partition you wish to use as swap
as "Do not use" in the installer. Then, on the first boot, add the
partition manually to /etc/fstab:

UUID=...	none	swap	sw	0	0

If you then wish to use that swap without rebooting, run "swapon --all".

It might save a lot of typing to use LABEL rather than UUID.

IIRC the partitioning phase of installer does not allow specifying a label for the swap partition.

(Of course the necessity might be avoided with pre-seeding
about which I know little; I've probably installed Debian
fewer times than the OP has installed jessie in a day.)

I rarely install Jessie more than twice a day ;)
Although I may have installed Squeeze 5 times in one day.

My environment is a laptop dedicated to installing various
configurations of Jessie. It is extremely annoying that only the
last installed {and *most likely* to be removed} boots promptly -
the other installs having problems with finding an invalid UUID. I
gets worse as I occasionally install a system and its intended
swap partition to a flash drive - effectively clobbering all
installs on the laptop.

Cheers,
David.