Re: Installer trases UUID of swap - was [Re: Change of UUID?]

On Fri 06 Jan 2017 at 16:26:55 (+0000), Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 09:45:28AM -0600, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >On 9/23/2016 11:52 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> >>[snip]
> >>
> >>The Debian installer reformats an existing swap, which means it
> >>gets a new UUID, unless you go out of your way to prevent it from
> >>doing so.
> >>

> >I wish to go out of my way, so to speak.
> >Can you point me to "the road less traveled"?
>
> My thoughts would be to mark the partition you wish to use as swap
> as "Do not use" in the installer. Then, on the first boot, add the
> partition manually to /etc/fstab:
>
> UUID=...	none	swap	sw	0	0
>
> If you then wish to use that swap without rebooting, run "swapon --all".

It might save a lot of typing to use LABEL rather than UUID.
(Of course the necessity might be avoided with pre-seeding
about which I know little; I've probably installed Debian
fewer times than the OP has installed jessie in a day.)

> >My environment is a laptop dedicated to installing various
> >configurations of Jessie. It is extremely annoying that only the
> >last installed {and *most likely* to be removed} boots promptly -
> >the other installs having problems with finding an invalid UUID. I
> >gets worse as I occasionally install a system and its intended
> >swap partition to a flash drive - effectively clobbering all
> >installs on the laptop.

Cheers,
David.