Re: Urgent help needed - Debian boot hangs

Am 06.01.2017 15:45, schrieb Dan Ritter:

On Fri, Jan 06, 2017 at 03:32:01PM +0100, hans@hanswkraus.com wrote:
Hi,

urgent help needed. After adding an iptable entry for masquerading my
local network and making it permanent with
the package "iptables-persistent" my Debian server doesn't boot any
more.
It hangs with the line:
A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces. ( ... /no
limit)
The root file system where it boots from is on an Adaptec HW Raid
interface, the motherboard is a Asrock.

I habe tried to boot from a live CD (by pressing F11 as the short boot
msg of the motherboard suggests), but with no avail,
the boot menue doesn't appear. I don't see the Grub menue, the screen is
momentarily blank.
The computer insists on booting from the Adaptec.

Is there any chance to interrupt the booting process? The other command
windows (Alt-F2 .. Alt-F6) show only the line
A start job is running for LSB: Raise network interfaces. ( ... /no
limit)

When you boot normally, do you get a GRUB menu flashing by? If
so, you can interrupt it there (try down-arrow) and edit the
boot line to change the init system to init=/bin/sh

Then you can mount your root filesystem r/w
mount -o remount,rw /
and edit your iptables troubles away.

-dsr-

Hi Dan,

tanks for the help but I don't see a GRUB menu. Maybe it's there because I get an info
from the screen: frequency out of range... After a dew seconds the system beeps once
and continues booting.

Kind regards,
Hans