Re: Monitor switched off after resume from hibernation

On Fri 06 Jan 2017 at 11:11:45 (+1100), Keith Bainbridge wrote:
> Ummm, why turn the monitor off first?

Perhaps because Davide doesn't want to wait 30 mins¹ before
closing the lid and finding out if the problem still recurs.

> I use suspend rather than hibernate, on a macbook 4,1 and just close the
> lid.  I get a password screen as soon as I open up.

So would that be using more power both when the lid is closed,
and also when the lid is left open for prolonged periods?

¹ I used to specify 10/20/30 minutes for stand-by/suspend/off
when I ran real CRT monitors.

> On 6 Jan 2017 08:04, "solitone" <solitone@mail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm on debian stretch, and my computer is a MacBookPro 12,1. I've recently
> > noticed an issue that affect my system when it hibernates.
> >
> > When the screen is already switched off and then the system hibernates, it
> > won't resume correctly later on. Specifically, the monitor will be
> > switched off
> > again at the end of the resume process.
> >
> > E.g. I give the following command in order to switch off the monitor:
> >
> > $ sleep 1 && xset dpms force off
> >
> > then I close the lid so that my system hibernates. Then I resume the
> > system.
> > The monitors turns on, as I see the boot loader screen and some boot
> > messages.
> > But then, when the resume is complete, the screen is switched off again,
> > and
> > there is no way to turn it on. The only solution is press the power button
> > turn off the entire computer.
> >
> > I get the same issue even when, instead of using the xset command, I wait
> > several minutes so that the screen is switched off automatically by KDE's
> > power management, and then I hibernate the system.
> >
> > By contrast, I have no issue if I hibernate when the screen is still on.
> > The
> > resume works perfectly well. Besides, suspend (to RAM) has no issue either,
> > both when the screen is on and when it is off.
> >
> > I've already reported a bug to the mainteiners of debian kernel. But in the
> > meanwhile, as a workaround I'm thinking of using a systemd script that
> > forces
> > the monitor on just before the system starts hibernating. I've tried with
> > "xset dpms force on", however it won't in fact turn on the monitor. Is
> > there a
> > way to do this?

Do you perhaps need

xset -display <something> dpms force on