Re: brother printer/scanners

Woops. Corrections below:

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Joel Rees <joel.rees@gmail.com> wrote:
> (Ben saw this, anyway. 8-p
>
> Sorry. Wandering back and forth between Ubuntu and Debian, I sometimes
> forget that debian treats e-mail as e-mail, where Ubuntu does the
> convenient thing.)
>
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:
>> On 02/01/17 13:38, Joel Rees wrote:
>>>
>>> I got a Brother printer to work by installing both the debian packages
>>> from the repos and the deb from Brother's website, but the scanner
>>> still isn't being found.
>>> Running Wheezy.
>>> Would anyone care to tell me what steps they took to get scan
>>> functionality on their Brother multifunction printers?
>
> I'll mention here, for completeness, that I installed the short deb
> that set up the udevs this morning, but that didn't help. xsane still
> only found my internal camera. (Which, unfortunately, does not seem to
> scan. Maybe I'll find a way to configure the camera later on, just for
> fun.)
>
>> Is this a network printer? Did you configure your scanner client settings
>> with brsaneconfig[1-4]? For example:
>> http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1b.html?c=nz&lang=en&prod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as&redirect=on
>>
>> From my MFC-L2740DW on unstable amd64, I ran:
>>
>> brsaneconfig4 -a name="Brother MFC-L2740DW" model=MFC-L2740DW ip=192.168.1.2
>>

> That helped. When running xsane after that, it found the scanner and
> showed it to me in a list with the internal camera. But it errored
> out, complaining about bad parameters.
>
> Then I ran
>
> brsaneconfig4 -q
>
> to see if it was there, and after that it connects and scans. YAY!
>
>> The scanner was then correctly detected in xsane.
>>
>> I am using:
>>
>> brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb
>
> I haven't installed this yet, but I may try it just for fun,
> especially if I end up with multiple brother devices. ;-)
>
>> brscan4-0.4.3-0.amd64.deb
>
> That's what I had from repos.

No, that wasn't from repos. Now that I check, it was from Brother's
driver clot. Uhm, deb package.

My bad.

You know, I'm not sure where it came from. Wait. Here it is:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/index.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&comple=on&redirect=on

Here are some of their famous instructions:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1b.html?c=us_ot&lang=en&redirect=on

Here's the monster download page:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/download_scn.html

which has the scanner stuff for a whole bunch of models. As someone
said, the debian repos don't seem to have any scanner stuff.

>> mfcl2740dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb

dcpj952ncupswrapper-whatever (3.0.0.1, i386)

>> mfcl2740dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb

dcpj952nlpr-whatever (3.0.0.1, i386)

It looks like I got them from Brother, but I'm not sure what page. It
may be a Japanese-only page for a Japan-only printer.

Oh, this is probably it:

http://support.brother.co.jp/j/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=jp&lang=ja&prod=dcpj957n&os=128

And I seem to have picked tthe simple install, which appears to be
downlevel but must not be, since I have the 3.0.0.1 drivers. The dates
are confusing, too. But the models supported list includes the
dcp-j957.

As several have commented, it's impossible to be sure what came from
where because I installed what was in the repos, then installed the
stuff from Brother.

> Not sure about those,  don't seem to remember seeing what would be the
> equivalent for the DCP-J975N, which is my multifunction device.

Double woops. DCP-J957N.

But the driver deb is named for the 952.

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html