Re: brother printer/scanners

(Ben saw this, anyway. 8-p

Sorry. Wandering back and forth between Ubuntu and Debian, I sometimes
forget that debian treats e-mail as e-mail, where Ubuntu does the
convenient thing.)

On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 1:49 PM, Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz> wrote:
> On 02/01/17 13:38, Joel Rees wrote:
>>
>> I got a Brother printer to work by installing both the debian packages
>> from the repos and the deb from Brother's website, but the scanner
>> still isn't being found.
>> Running Wheezy.
>> Would anyone care to tell me what steps they took to get scan
>> functionality on their Brother multifunction printers?

I'll mention here, for completeness, that I installed the short deb
that set up the udevs this morning, but that didn't help. xsane still
only found my internal camera. (Which, unfortunately, does not seem to
scan. Maybe I'll find a way to configure the camera later on, just for
fun.)

> Is this a network printer? Did you configure your scanner client settings
> with brsaneconfig[1-4]? For example:
> http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/instruction_scn1b.html?c=nz&lang=en&prod=mfcl2740dw_us_eu_as&redirect=on
>
> From my MFC-L2740DW on unstable amd64, I ran:
>
> brsaneconfig4 -a name="Brother MFC-L2740DW" model=MFC-L2740DW ip=192.168.1.2

That helped. When running xsane after that, it found the scanner and
showed it to me in a list with the internal camera. But it errored
out, complaining about bad parameters.

Then I ran

brsaneconfig4 -q

to see if it was there, and after that it connects and scans. YAY!

> The scanner was then correctly detected in xsane.
>
> I am using:
>
> brscan-skey-0.2.4-1.amd64.deb

I haven't installed this yet, but I may try it just for fun,
especially if I end up with multiple brother devices. ;-)

> brscan4-0.4.3-0.amd64.deb

That's what I had from repos.

> mfcl2740dwcupswrapper-3.2.0-1.i386.deb
> mfcl2740dwlpr-3.2.0-1.i386.deb

Not sure about those,  don't seem to remember seeing what would be the
equivalent for the DCP-J975N, which is my multifunction device.

> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
> Director
> Transient Software Limited <http://transient.nz/>
> New Zealand

Much appreciation to all who responded, including off-list.

--
Joel Rees

I'm imagining I'm a novelist:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/p/novels-i-am-writing.html