Re: brother printer/scanners

On 01/02/2017 07:16 PM, Brian wrote:
On Mon 02 Jan 2017 at 09:38:24 +0900, Joel Rees wrote:

I got a Brother printer to work by installing both the debian packages
from the repos and the deb from Brother's website, but the scanner
still isn't being found.

Any progress on this? Which device is it?

I haven't seen any replies to the thread from Joel, though I did receive a direct reply from him. I see that he has a gmail addy. Maybe he's having an issue with getting gmail to come back to the list???

I haven't seen him indicate the model. If it's like the one I'm playing with you have to install a policy and then install the scanner driver, and then install the scanner key, and then run the brsaneconfig thingy. And the instructions are rubbish. It would probably just work for him if he used the 200 kilobyte script. But it is kind of an ugly solution.

On the other hand, I did just install the scanner stuff alone in one test, and that worked just fine, once I got the typos figured out. The printer portions of the Brother multi-function devices seem well-supported in the repositories. I suggest the system-config-printer utility since it seems to zero in very quickly on the right drivers for similar-named printers. That CUPS installer utility makes me roll that mouse wheel until I start feeling cranky.

Come back to us, Joel!