Re: Do have programs have poor documentation? (was ... Re: Why? -- "A Modest Proposal")

David Wright wrote on 01/02/17 15:41:
> On Sun 01 Jan 2017 at 12:39:26 (+0100), Xen wrote:
>> rhkramer@gmail.com schreef op 31-12-2016 15:12:
>>
>>> But, info pages could work.
>>
>> Yes, let's propose that. They are just impossible to navigate if you
>> are not an insider.
>
> I don't know what an "insider" is.
>
> I have no problem navigating them. I usually consult them with the function
>
> $ info --output=/dev/stdout --subnodes "$1" | less
>
> which works well with PageUp/Dn.
>
>> The fact that pretty much no one uses them is not a red herring at all.
>
> How would one know that no one uses them?
>
> Cheers,
> David.

A nice tool for reading man pages as well the info pages is emacs.

For info pages, start emacs and do "Ctrl-h i". Then you can navigate the info
pages with the mouse-pointer and -buttons. You can do a local search in the
current page with the emacs-typical "Ctrl-s" and even a global search through
all sub-pages with just "s" and entering the search term.

Man pages can be displayed with "Esc-x man Ret" and entering the name your
searching a man page for. The name can be completed with "Tab".

Regards,
jvp.