INTERIM Resolution - was [Re: Trouble shooting a "thinkfan" problem on a Lenovo T430 Thinkpad]

On 1/1/2017 9:55 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 12/31/2016 8:50 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:

One thing that continues to bother me is that thinkfan is
disabled by default because an improper parameter could damage
the computer. If that is true, why isn't the fan always on? The
documentation I've found indicates it's original motivation was
to reduce power consumption and acoustic noise. ??? ;/

A comment on another forum prompted me to run a Live Jesse MATE
on my T43 (a dedicated Windows box). The fan speed actually
increased. That gave me confidence to run some additional test on
the T430. Caught the fan running once. Ran my existing install
for about an hour without catching fan running. Quit and
immediately booted Windows. Fan ran and exhaust air seemed safely
cool. I'll do a complete reload after chasing down appropriate
monitoring apps.

Thinkfan may be having problems. But something seems to be
keeping me in safe territory.

More later.

Wiped existing installs. Did standard full install with MATE desktop without print server or activation of networking. Added mate-system-tools and mate-sensors-applet (which is now displaying core temperatures). This sequence did *NOT* install thinkfan. However it is obvious that something is triggering the fan when a core temperature hits ~40 deg C.

I'll not pursue the installation of thinkfan as I see no benefit and do see the possibility of breaking something. I'll continue to investigate the various display and logging apps available.

Gkrellm {http://gkrellm.srcbox.net/} has been recommended and is in the repositories. I'll try it out.

Thanks to all.