Re: brother printer/scanners

Joel Rees composed on 2017-01-02 09:38 (UTC+0900):

I got a Brother printer to work by installing both the debian packages
from the repos and the deb from Brother's website, but the scanner
still isn't being found.

Running Wheezy.

Would anyone care to tell me what steps they took to get scan
functionality on their Brother multifunction printers?

I only ever did it once, which less than a week ago, via ethernet cable, for an inkjet MFC-420CN. I've already forgotten whether I did anything other than follow the instructions found on Brother's web site for my model, which provided a total of three packages, one of which contained nothing but a tiny script. It may be that the script was what actually created the device for the driver to use. I did not install the inkjet's printer drivers, only its scanning, because I print on an ethernet connected Brother HL5470DW laser.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/