Re: Gparted will not label an existing FAT32 partition

rhkramer@gmail.com composed on 2016-11-11 18:36 (UTC-0500):

Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Thomas Schmitt composed:

> The older format is MBR with 4 primary partitions and 4 logical
> ones in one of the primary partitions.

Huh ? The number of logical partitions is unlimited.

Ok, just to be part of this ongoing saga, I think the number of logical
partitions is limited to something like 12 or 16 (or maybe the total number of
partitions, primary plus logical is limited to 16.  (And maybe that's a limit
of one or more OSs rather than a universal limit.)

When libata was a juvenile it inherited SCSI's maximum block id minor number 15, making /dev/sd#15 the limit. It took awhile before the new major number 259 was provided with a larger maximum minor, 127 IIRC, to boost the libata limit past 15.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/