Re: Problem attempting to use xorriso

On 11/10/2016 8:53 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Thursday 10 November 2016 10:53:47 Richard Owlett wrote:
On 11/9/2016 5:16 PM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Sunday 06 November 2016 16:47:00 Richard Owlett wrote:
[snip]
Based on responses to previous posts titled "Trivial script will
NOT execute" and "Permissions for an entire PARTITION" I have
multiple problems understanding Linux file systems generally.

I imagine you have seen this lot - especially the top three??
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=basic+debian+file+system&oq=basic+debia
n+file+system&aqs=chrome..69i57.7617j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Lisi

Yes, but not in the context of a sub-project from last few days.
I suspect what I aiming at might look like - the groups and
permission bits set at time partition created, thus avoiding
games with /etc/fstab .

richard@jessie-defaults:~$
richard@jessie-defaults:~$ ls -l /dev/sd*
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  0 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda
brw-rw---- 1 root owl  8,  1 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda1
brw-rw-r-- 1 root owl  8,  2 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  3 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda3
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8,  5 Nov 10 03:35 /dev/sda5
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 16 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb
br--rw-r-- 1 root owl  8, 17 Nov 10 04:43 /dev/sdb1
richard@jessie-defaults:~$

My current homework is to now re-read ~40 posts and a to be
determined number of referenced links. Keywords will likely
include path, working directory, inode and mount ;/

--
If retirement isn't for learning, what use is it.

Richard - are you clear that the permissions are not for the partitions but
for the directories on the mount points on the filing system on which those
partitions have been hung??  This can be hard to grasp, but it can and does
sometimes make a difference, e.g. if the same partition or device gets
mounted somewhere else.

I'm getting the drift. It just one of things under the heading of "reality is a nuisance". There are a number of ways to tackle the problem that triggered my search. But they just ain't aesthetically pleasing.

Being slightly older than you, Richard and coming from the pre-electronic
computer generation, I am hoping to grasp and understand the basic Unix
filing system finally some time before I keel over.  (I *think* that
electronic computers are slightly older than you are.) ;-)

It may be close, I pre-date the Harvard MarkI. I am definitely older than Linus Torvalds father ;)

Lisi