Strange Problem with 'alias'

I am running Debian v-8.5.0 with the bash shell and a number of alias's defined.

For example alias l='ls -l --color'

When I boot the system none of the definitions of alias in .bashrc are active. That is until I open a terminal and input source .bashrc. So far, so good alias works - in that terminal! If I open a tab in the same terminal the alias's are gone!!!

I keep the system up to date.

Is this fatal?  NO  Very annoying? YES

I  don't have the faintest idea as to what is going on.

A solyutio to this problem, short of a new installation of the OS, will be very appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.	Life is a fuzzy set
www.Molecular-Modeling.net	Stochastic and multivariate