Re: [Aptitude-devel] aptitude ~A question

On Sun 06 Nov 2016 at 20:53:32 (+0100), steve wrote:
> Le 06-11-2016, à 07:05:15 -0600, David Wright a écrit :
>
> >>so 3507 ≠ 3349. Both figures should be equal as I understand. It seems
> >>that some packages are counted two or more times or my calculation is
> >>plain wrong.
> >>
> >>Thoughts?
> >
> >Piping to wc -l throws most of the information away.
>
> I don't see why *here*. The output of 'aptitude search ~Ajessie~i' is a
> simple list of lines and 'wc -l' does exactly that: count lines.

You wrote "It seems that some packages are counted two or more times
or my calculation is plain wrong." How do you see if some packages are
being counted twice?...by looking at what is being counted of course.

If you follow my recipe, any packages counted twice (as eg in both
the stable and jessie searches) will show up in the diff with a "-".

> What information would be thrown away?

The items that were counted.

apples
oranges