Re: Stretch System Stops Boot Process Immediately After Grub Screen (me too!)

On 11/03/2016 03:26 PM, Mike Conde wrote:
Have you checked your boot partition - does it have enough free space?

I don't have a separate boot partition, just one main partition that
is 40GB in capacity and 40% full.

Sorry to see that you're having this problem. I'm stymied as to why it might happen with a VM. I had assumed that the new kernel had stopped supporting some piece of hardware in my rather unusual little notebook computer.

The same day the kernel was updated on my system, pc-grub was also updated. Since the boot failure occurs at the point where grub finishes and the system load begins I wasn't sure whether the problem was the new kernel or the new grub.

I've got a bunch of medical stuff happening right now, so simply don't have time to spend making live images and diagnosing / fixing.

Just wanted to drop a note to express sympathy, and to point out that I was running the amd64 kernel on one 64 bit system and the 686-PAE kernel on two i386 systems. In my case, it was one of the i386 systems that stopped working, but the really ancient system continued working. In your case IIRC it's an amd64 VM that has failed. I'm perplexed as to how a single kernel change would affect both of these systems and leave so many other hardware and VM combinations unscathed.

But then again, I'm easily perplexed these days.

Good luck!
JP