Stretch System Stops Boot Process Immediately After Grub Screen (me too!)

I am having exactly the same problem as Jape Person's post from Oct 22 2016, except my hardware environment is completely different.

I am running Debian testing/Stretch 64-bit on a virtual machine under virtualbox.  The host OS is Windows 7 64-bit.

I don't know exactly which kernel update was the culprit because I got behind on my updates, but I think the problem appeared sometime around 4.7.6 or so.

I still have a 4.6 kernel image on the VM so I am able to boot to that just fine.

To be specific, after the grub menu disappears the screen goes blank and there is no further activity, no matter how long I wait.  Choosing recovery mode in grub does not change anything.  Also redirecting the console out a serial port doesn't provide any info -- no serial data is transmitted.

I thought this might be a virtualbox compatibility problem, but since someone else is experiencing the same thing on a non-VM machine I now suspect the kernel.

Should I post this as a bug somewere, and if so where?

Thanks!

--Mike Conde