Re: Alternative to Adobe Reader, anyone?

On Mon 31 Oct 2016 at 23:38:36 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 31 October 2016 20:34:32 Brian wrote:
> > I _do_
> >
> > > get offered the chance to switch landscape to portrait.
> >
> > You final sentence is what interests me.
> >
> > What would expect to happen if you chose "portrait" over "landscape"?
> >
> > Bear in mind most printers feed paper in short-edge first.
>
> Portrait is the default.  If I do not ask it to turn a landscape image round,
> a high percentage of it will be outside the printing area and I would have
> tramlines at the top and bottom of the page.
>
> Put a landscape image over the top of a portrait oriented sheet of paper and
> you'll see what I mean.

I understand what you mean. If we are still talking in the context of
Evince, the "Landscape" and "Portrait" options are handled by Cairo, not
CUPS. If you select "Landscape", Cairo rotates *every" page in the PDF
by 90 degrees if the page width is *less* than the height. If you had a
842x595 sized pages they would not be rotated. Effectively, the option
does nothing. Or rather - it doesn't do what you think it does.

But (you say). the printout is OK. That's because you have the "Auto
Rotate and Centre" option ticked. Nothing to do with "Landscape"
selected.

Even if you forgot to tick "Auto Rotate and Centre" and sent a 842x595
page to the printer it will still be printed correctly because the
pdftopdf filter of cups-filters automatically rotates landscape pages by
90 degrees before printing.

--
Brian.