Re: new pc and swap

On 01/11/16 19:04, Johann Spies wrote:
> LVM has bitten me more than once in the past and I will not use it
> again.  In both situations it spanned more than one disk and one of the
> disks failed - leaving you with unrecoverable data.

I don't think I've ever used it like that, and probably wouldn't. At
least not unless the underlying devices were RAID1 or similar.

Spanning devices seems to me to be more or less the same as RAID0
(striping), and just as risky - perhaps slightly more convenient to
recover data from, but it certainly doesn't sound easy.

On the other hand, constraining myself to one 'device' (generally an
mdraid RAID1 device, often on partitions smaller than the disk) per vg,
I would rarely do without it.

Richard