Re: new pc and swap

Servus Pascal,

> > I once read that it was possible to swap to a named file, rather than a
> > swap partition.
> > Is that possible with Jessie?

Creating (and using) a swapfile is easy, no problem in Jessie:

sudo mkswap /swap.0
sudo swapon /swap.0
grep swap /etc/fstab
/swap.0		swap    	swap    defaults        0

> Swap to a file is possible but IIRC hibernate to a file is not possible.

It is. In fact, I do it on my machine. Configuring it is not so easy,
but again: google is your friend.

Unfortunately, a few weeks ago, hibernating stopped working reliably
here. I wrote to this list a few days ago, without any response :(

So, hibernating to a swapfile (or a separate hibernation file) is
possible, but it doesn't seem to be a good idea. I would recommend a
swap partition. On my T61 with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD, I have a 5GB
swapfile. As gparted works very reliably, misjudging the size of the
partition is only a small problem...

So I consider switching from swapfile to a swappartition.

cu
--
Markus Grunwald